|The filibuster and presidential veto should be short delays before 50% +1 votes.|
- 1 Table top
- 2 Top
- 3 Eric Garner killed for cigarettes
- 4 Cops kicking in the head
- 5 Social media, Facebook
- 6 Compilation links
- 7 Stop-and-frisks, harassment
- 8 U.S. torture training in Mexico
- 9 Disappearances in Mexico
- 10 Indonesia
- 11 Torture by U.S. police
- 12 DEA holding cell without water
- 13 Prison violence
- 14 Juvenile inmates in the USA
- 15 Police beatings and killings
- 16 US. Indefinite military detention
- 17 Torture, human experimentation
- 18 Site navigation
- 19 Cannabis is safer.
- 20 Nixon's racist drug war
- 21 The forever drug war
- 22 US Republican states
- 23 Today's far-right Republicans
- 24 $70 billion to end pandemic
- 25 GOP taxes screw middle class
- 26 Republican filibuster equals
- 26.1 US voter suppression
- 26.2 High US taxes on poor
- 26.3 And on US middle class
- 26.4 Low US minimum wage
- 26.5 High wealth inequality
- 26.6 High income inequality
- 26.7 Low quality of life
- 26.8 High household debt
- 26.9 High US medical debt
- 26.10 High student loan debt
- 26.11 Punitive bankruptcy law
- 26.12 Stagnant US wages
- 26.13 Racist law enforcement
- 26.14 Poorly rated healthcare
- 26.15 No universal healthcare
- 27 Single payer costs less
- 28 Portugal's drug decrim equals
- 29 50 drug overdose deaths yearly
- 30 Versus 95,000 overdoses in US
- 31 President Eisenhower. 1953:
- 32 His 91% top marginal tax rate
- 33 Equaled prosperity for more.
- 34 Republican President Lincoln
- 35 Created first progressive
- 36 US federal income tax.
- 37 Thomas Paine on the poor
- 38 Overpopulation = Warming
- 39 Categories
- Share links: brutality and torture. This article was written by Timeshifter. See also: Wars and drug wars on demand. And: Race, ethnicity, and drug war.
Deaths, beatings, torture, rape, searches, disappearances, terror, control, solitary confinement, stop-and-frisk, arbitrary searches, etc..
6 Jan 2020: More than 60,000 Mexicans have disappeared amid drug war, officials say. Washington Post.
13 April 2012: Human Rights Defender Kerry Kennedy Detained, Threatened by Mexican Military | the narcosphere. By Bill Conroy. Robert F. Kennedy's Daughter Nearly Meets Tragic Fate at Drug-War Checkpoint.
2012: Solitary in Iran Nearly Broke Me. Then I Went Inside America's Prisons. By Shane Bauer. November/December 2012 Issue of Mother Jones.
Eric Garner killed for cigarettes
Wikipedia: Death of Eric Garner. "I can't breathe". Choked to death for selling "loosies" (single cigarettes) from packs without tax stamps.
19 Aug 2019: Eric Garner: NY officer in 'I can't breathe' death fired. BBC News. From the article (emphasis added):
|In explaining his decision, Mr O'Neill said mobile phone video of Garner's death clearly shows the officer used a chokehold, which is banned by the New York Police Department (NYPD). ...... A city medical examiner ruled the chokehold contributed to Garner's death. ... The firing comes as California enacts one of the strictest laws limiting police force in the US.|
21 Mar 2017: Exclusive documents: The disturbing secret history of the NYPD officer who killed Eric Garner. By Carimah Townes. ThinkProgress. From the article:
|On July 17, 2014, NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo wrapped his arms around Eric Garner’s neck and squeezed. ... his final words, "I can’t breathe," became a rallying cry for the Black Lives Matter movement. ... a chokehold prohibited by the NYPD.|
20 May 2015: ‘I can’t breathe! I’m choking on my blood': Disturbing video of Black soldier dying in Texas jail. Died after "A two-day sentence for driving while intoxicated".
Cops kicking in the head
13 Apr 2017: .
11 Nov 2019: Second St. Louis cop pleads guilty after beating undercover detective during protest. From the article (emphasis added):
|In one text message, Boone wrote, “It’s gonna get IGNORANT tonight!! But it’s gonna be a lot of fun beating the hell out of these shitheads once the sun goes down and nobody can tell us apart!!!!” ... On Friday, Hays pleaded guilty to one count of using unreasonable and excessive force against a fellow SLMPD police officer. He admitted to throwing Hall to the ground before kicking him in the face and beating him three to five times with a police baton.|
Social media, Facebook
- Police the Police.
- Stop Police Brutality.
- National Police Misconduct Reporting Project.
- Police State USA: Land of the Checkpoints.
- Prison Reform Movement.
- Police Brutality. The Free Thought Project.
- Police Abuse Sky-Rockets In US, Tied To Drug War Policies.
- Police Brutality.
- Cop Block. See Drug war page too.
- Communities United Against Police Brutality.
- Police Brutality. Breaking News for Black America.
- 10 Shocking Incidents of Police Brutality Caught on Tape. CounterPunch.
- Cop watch -- Policing the Police. See forums too.
- Cop Spotting.
- ToxicCops - Cops Gone Bad.
- The Police Abuse Crisis. Veterans Against Police Abuse.
- Wikipedia: List of cases of police brutality. More links in "see also" section by country.
- Young, Black and Frisked by the N.Y.P.D.. By Nicholas K. Peart. December 17, 2011. New York Times.
- Tougher drug laws mean nearly 1/3 arrested by age 23. By David Edwards. December 19, 2011. The Raw Story.
U.S. torture training in Mexico
- "Torture By Mexican Government In Drug War Highlights U.S. Loss of Credibility On Human Rights". See Youtube video.
- "The Washington Post reports today [July 9, 2009] that the Mexican government has employed numerous torture techniques to extract confessions from suspected drug traffickers. The techniques included beatings, suffocation with plastic bags, electric shocks, the insertion of needles under suspects’ finger nails, water torture, and other abuses."
Disappearances in Mexico
Ten thousand dead and counting: Ciudad Juarez, the Mexican city that’s deadlier than Afghanistan. Dec 27, 2011. National Post. Chilling images.
- "The human rights commission of the local state of Chihuahua registered 1,250 complaints of torture, forced disappearances and extrajudicial executions by the army during its two-year deployment in Ciudad Juarez. It counts 400 similar grievances against the federal police who moved in when the soldiers were pulled out. These numbers document only 20% of the violations taking place, it estimates."
- "Human Rights Watch found there were 921 investigations opened in the military justice system for abuses in Chihuahua between December 2006 and May 2011 — more than any other state. Charges were brought in only two cases and no sentences were handed were down."
- "In November, the New York-based Human Rights Watch issued a report documenting more than 200 cases of kidnapping, torture and extrajudicial killings by the military and police."
Graphic: The ever expanding death toll in Mexico’s sprawling drug war. Last updated: Nov 1, 2011. National Post.
Drug-suspect rape and torture by police in Indonesia. See the links to the media articles (and quotes) found in the 2010 and 2009 sections of this Cannabis Wiki article: Jakarta, Indonesia.
Torture by U.S. police
- Jury Selection Begins in Illinois Police Torture Trial. By Karen Hawkins, Associated Press Writer. May 23, 2010. ABC News.
DEA holding cell without water
Daniel Chong, U.S. Man Left In Cell For 4 Days, Entered 'Survival Mode'. By Julie Watson. May 3, 2012. Associated Press article and MSNBC video. This was all over the news. From the article: "People can die from dehydration in as little as three to seven days, said Dr. Wally Ghurabi at UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica. Ghurabi said Chong was wise to drink his own urine to stay hydrated."
I tell you what I think happened. He was in a holding cell without a toilet and the DEA agents may have heard some muffled screams and figured it was just some suspect complaining, and so why not let him piss on himself while others were handling the paperwork. The info on the video is incredible. Staff walked by. Neighboring cells heard him and some told him to shut up. So staff must have heard him and ignored him. From the article: "A federal law enforcement official familiar with DEA operations said the agency's protocols require that cells be checked each night."
- An Alabama Prison’s Unrelenting Descent Into Violence. By Campbell Robertson. March 28, 2017. New York Times.
Juvenile inmates in the USA
- AP: 13,000 abuse claims in juvie centers - USATODAY.com. March 2, 2008. By Holbrook Mohr, Associated Press writer.
- "Torture Kids Instead". "The US state is a horrible parent; 12% of its 'detained' kids are sexually abused each year, versus 4% of adult prisoners. 0.3% of US non-prisoners report rape each year, versus a world median of ~0.05%."
- "Video shows deputy's alleged assault on teen girl." Article by KOMO-TV (an ABC affiliate in Seattle, Washington). See video. Deputy Shown Kicking Teen Girl. He hit her in the head while she was standing and while she was on the floor. He slammed her onto a concrete floor. He pulled her up by her hair.
- "King County deputy charged with fourth-degree assault on teen girl". By Mike Barber. Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
- "Former Deputy Paul Schene Says He Beat Teenage Girl Because He Was Afraid of Her". By Caleb Hannan. Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
- Forum: AP Raw Video: Deputy Shown Assaulting Teen Girl - Democratic Underground.
- ACLU Asks U.N. To Intervene On Behalf Of Montana Juvenile Prisoner - "placed in solitary confinement in the Montana State Prison when he was 17 and has been subjected to abuse so traumatizing that he has twice attempted to kill himself by biting through his wrist to puncture a vein. ... has been forbidden phone calls or visits with his family. Fellow inmates were so concerned for his well-being that they reached out to the ACLU of Montana for help on his behalf."
Police beatings and killings
Multiple videos of various brutal beatings of youths and adults by U.S. police:
- Phoenix Police Officer Caught on Tape Body-Slamming Drunk Teen Girl. ABC News. See various videos down the left column. Search for victims Chad Holley (Houston), and Ronald Bell (Chicago) on Youtube. Search for officer Patrick Larrison (Phoenix).
- Maryland police beating student John McKenna until unconscious and bloody. Video is Associated Press report. See April 15, 2010 Daily Mail article: FBI launch investigation as shocking footage of police beating a student provokes outrage across the U.S.. By Paul Thompson.
- 'Help me,' homeless man begs as cops fatally beat him in videotaped incident. By the CNN Wire Staff. May 8, 2012. With video.
US. Indefinite military detention
|44 Republicans, 15 Democrats, 1 Independent.|
See also: Newt Gingrich's deadly Drug War, extraordinary rendition, and Brutality and the Drug War. Also, "Night and Fog", the Nazi Germany program of disappearances, and indefinite military detention. Also, follow the money: Private prisons and private power.
- Senate Votes To Let Military Detain Americans Indefinitely, White House Threatens Veto. Nov. 29, 2011. Huffington Post.
- 60 senators betrayed you today, they authorized the indefinite suspension of habeus corpus (updated). WeAreChangeTV.us - Nov. 29, 2011.
- Bill Summary & Status - 112th Congress (2011 - 2012) - S.AMDT.1107. See list of Senators voting for and against. THOMAS (Library of Congress).
Torture, human experimentation
Some people do not know the depth of the long sordid history of torture and non-consensual human experimentation within the USA. See Wikipedia: Unethical human experimentation in the United States. Watch this 2008 video by National Geographic: CIA Secret Experiments.  . It is about Project MKUltra. Click video to play it. It will enlarge. Video is also here and here.