|Canada and Portugal. Vs USA|
Compare to the USA:
- 1 Table top
- 2 Top
- 3 Videos
- 4 Global drug decriminalization news
- 5 Portugal and drug decriminalization
- 6 Single-payer health care
- 7 USA. Universal healthcare would save
- 8 Tens of thousands of lives yearly
- 9 US healthcare spending vs world
- 10 Drugs kill far fewer people in Portugal
- 11 Canada-related healthcare news
- 12 People love Canadian healthcare
- 13 Some patients need free cannabis
- 14 Site navigation
- 15 Cannabis is safer.
- 16 Far-right Republicans
- 17 GOP taxes screw middle class
- 18 US has stingiest minimum wage
- 19 US has high wealth inequality
- 20 US has high income inequality
- 21 Massive US household debt
- 22 Massive US medical debt
- 23 Stagnant US wages
- 24 President Eisenhower. 1953
- 25 His 91% top marginal tax rate
- 26 Equaled prosperity for more
- 27 President Abraham Lincoln
- 28 Overpopulation = Warming
- 29 Categories
- Share links: endit and enddrugwar. This article was written by Timeshifter. See also: Canadian single-payer healthcare, and Portuguese drug decriminalization. And: Canadian single-payer universal healthcare versus US healthcare.
Source for the multi-country chart below: Are any conservatives in the US for a single payer and a universal health care system, or can they not coexist? Chart is from comment around March 11, 2017 by Dan Munro, "author of Casino Healthcare and Forbes contributor". See Wikipedia: List of countries with universal health care.
- Health care in the US is an expensive mess. How does Canada do it? April 6, 2017. By Joan Wickersham. Boston Globe. From the article:
"He admitted that the year had been atypically intense for them; they’d seen doctors a lot. Each time, they showed their health care cards, and that was it. He felt the care had been excellent. I asked how much it had cost them. He said that outside of Richard’s crutches and some $10 charges for prescription drugs, it hadn’t cost them anything."
- Video. ATTN. America vs. Norway: Drug Addiction. . June 1, 2018.
- Video. ATTN. Switzerland gave free heroin to addicts and it literally solved their heroin epidemic. . Dec. 30, 2017. See also: Wikipedia: Heroin-assisted treatment.
Global drug decriminalization news
- Danish Politician Calls for the Decriminalization of Cannabis, ‘Hard Drugs’. May 16, 2018 article.
- British Medical Journal Advocates For Decriminalizing All Drugs. May 14, 2018 article.
- UK. Medical leaders call for legalisation of heroin, cocaine and cannabis so addicts can seek help without the threat of jail. By Shaun Wooller. 27 April 2018. The Sun. Royal College of Physicians, which represents 26,000 medics in the UK. "Drug use and possession would be legalised under the proposals but dealing would remain a crime."
- Canada's Liberal party considers decriminalization of all illicit drugs. April 16, 2018. By Ashifa Kassam. The Guardian.
- City of Vancouver calls for decriminalization of drug possession. March 9, 2018. CBC News.
- Philadelphia will open one of America’s first supervised drug-injection sites. March 8, 2018. The Economist.
- Canada. Liberal MPs urge dropping criminal penalties for all illicit drug use. Jan. 16, 2018. CTV News.
- Norway to decriminalize all drugs, likely following Portugal's model. By Mike Adams. December 19, 2017. High Times.
- Norway becomes first Scandinavian country to decriminalise drugs in historic vote. By Rebecca Flood. 15 December 2017. The Independent.
- Former premiers and Australian police chiefs call for drug decriminalisation. By Elle Hunt. March 19, 2017. The Guardian.
- Should Toronto push to decriminalize all drugs? The city’s medical health officer ready to consider it. By Betsy Powell. Aug. 4, 2017. Toronto Star.
- Vancouver's top doctor to Trudeau: Decriminalize all illicit drugs, now. . Using Portugal's model. . March 3, 2017.
- World Health Organization calls for Portuguese-style drug decriminalization. July 17, 2014 article. .
Portugal and drug decriminalization
Portugal has universal healthcare. Like Canada. Like nearly all of the EU (European Union). See: Portugal. Cannabis-related links. See: Wikipedia: Health in Portugal and Wikipedia: Drug policy of Portugal. And: Wikipedia: Comparison of the health care systems in Canada and the USA. And: Wikipedia: List of countries by total health expenditure per capita.
Single-payer health care
USA. Universal healthcare would save
Tens of thousands of lives yearly
- Will losing health insurance mean more US deaths? Experts say yes. By Mona Chalabi. 24 June 2017. The Guardian. From the article:
|"Various studies have looked at whether uninsured people have a higher risk of death. The most cited was published by the American Journal of Public Health in 2009 and found that nearly 45,000 Americans die each year as a direct result of being uninsured."|
- Senate GOP Healthcare Bill Estimated to Kill 28,600 More in U.S. Each Year & Drop 22 milion from Insurance. June 27, 2017. Democracy Now!.
. And: Bernie Sanders' projection of 'thousands' of deaths from lost health coverage is well-supported. June 27, 2017. Politifact. See article sidebar for many sources. . And: Paul Ryan: “22 Million Americans Choose To Be Poor, So It’s Their Own Problem If They Can’t Afford To Be Healthy”. . June 28, 2017.
See Commons source. See original chart source: Link between health spending and life expectancy: US is an outlier. August 03, 2016 by Max Roser (since updated). Chart is under a CC BY-SA license. Article that uses a version of the chart: Are any conservatives in the US for a single payer and a universal health care system, or can they not coexist? See comment around March 11, 2017 by Dan Munro, "author of Casino Healthcare and Forbes contributor".
US healthcare spending vs world
|How?: And: , and Portuguese drug decriminalization and treatment. And: Prescriptions are free in Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland. Vs. USA. . And: And:|
The $0 Alternative To Trumpcare. See chart below. USA versus top ten healthiest nations.
|Canada passes US in middle-class wealth. Median after-tax middle-class income in Canada is higher. . Why? Canadians pay so much less for more comprehensive healthcare.|
Drugs kill far fewer people in Portugal
|"Their efforts helped make opioids more American than apple pie: The U.S. — with 4% of the world's population — ingests 80% of its opioids, according to one of the lawsuits."|
- Portugal decriminalised drugs 14 years ago – and now hardly anyone dies from overdosing. June 2015 article by Chris Ingraham. Chart below is from the article:
"The country has 3 overdose deaths per million citizens, compared to the EU average of 17.3."
- Overdose Death Rates. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). Charts.
- These Are the Drugs That Cause the Most Overdose Deaths. Chart.
- Our nation’s drug overdose problem, in five bleak charts.
- . Feb. 2, 2017.
- . Jan. 10, 2017.
- Canada has universal health care, and a higher minimum wage than the US. Jan. 9, 2017.
- Nov. 30, 2016.
- Millions of Americans find drug savings in Canada. Nov. 17, 2016.
- US Senate bill: Safe and Affordable Drugs from Canada Act. Much cheaper under Single Payer. Oct. 5, 2016.
- Bernie Sanders video on importing drugs from Canada. Sept. 21, 2016.
- . Aug. 11, 2016.
- July 13, 2016.
- . Nov. 30, 2015.
- Homicide rates of USA (top line), Australia, Canada, Spain (ESP), Great Britain, and the Netherlands. From: OECD "How Was Life?", page 147. Article: Murder in Western nations. USA on top. Nov. 12, 2014.
People love Canadian healthcare
- American conservatives love to bash Canadian health care — but U.S. corporations love it. May 28, 2017. Salon. From the article:
|"At the same time he was quick to praise Canada’s system, which he says he and his family rely on, as do most corporate executives in Canada. He reported that wait times are generally not a problem, and says care is good."|
Some patients need free cannabis
- trigeminal neuralgia (aka tic douloureux). It can be one of the most excruciatingly painful conditions known. Longtime Canadian activist Alison Myrden has bilateral
- Weed Mom. Global Marijuana March shared AJ+'s video. Jan. 21, 2017. "She grows marijuana to treat her son's seizures. But her country sees her as a criminal."
Click for site navigation links at top. Mobile has three-line hamburger menu.