|View: Full site.||Mobile site.|
Share links: arrests - POWs - cannabis POWs. This article was written by Timeshifter. See also: . And: People in prisons and jails in the USA for drug-related crime. And: Drug war charts and maps. And: Wikimedia Commons:Category:Cannabis arrest statistics. And: The U.S. Drug War. Republicans lead. And: Cost of drug war. And: Influential cannabis users. And: .
Marijuana prisoners in the US
40.000+ in 2011. In state and federal prisons. Jail numbers not included.
- Marijuana | Drug War Facts. Section: "Cannabis and the Criminal Justice System". And subsection: "State and Federal Marijuana Prisoners". It says there were around 44,000 in 2004. This does not include those in jails.
- Life In Prison For Pot And Other Travesties Of Marijuana Prohibition. 4 Sept. 2014. Forbes. From the article there is this 2011 estimate of roughly 40,000 marijuana prisoners (in state and federal prisons, but not in local jails):
In 2004, according to a 2007 report from the Bureau of Justice Statistics, marijuana convictions accounted for 12.7 percent of drug offenders in state prisons and 12.4 percent of drug offenders in federal prisons. Applying those percentages to the drug offender numbers for 2011 (225,200 state, 94,600 federal) suggests that roughly 40,000 people are serving time in state and federal prisons for marijuana offenses. That number does not include people serving shorter sentences in local jails, where a total of about 182,000 drug offenders were confined in 2011. Nor does it include the vast majority of the 758,000 people arrested for marijuana offenses that year.
- Nearly One In Eight US Drug Prisoners Are Behind Bars For Pot. 12 October 2006. NORML.
|The majority of people incarcerated in prisons and jails in the USA are in due to drug-related offenses, crimes to get money for drugs, or drug-related parole or probation violations. Wikipedia: Drug-related crime. The number of inmates in the USA has increased almost 5 times over since 1980. It peaked in 2008. Obama's Democrat landslide in 2008 turned the incarceration rate around. But the USA still has the highest incarceration rate of any nation (b c). The cost of the U.S. drug war is at least 1.5 trillion dollars. Cannabis is safer! Share link.|
US cannabis arrests by year
US cannabis arrests by state
This article has a clickable US map that can be zoomed in and out:
Payton Guion. April 26, 2018.
Life for pot
- See main article: USA. Life for pot.
- Life in prison for selling marijuana: Meet the people new pot laws forgot. MSNBC. 8 Sep 2015. . "At least 67 people are in prison right now, sentenced to die there for selling marijuana". And: LifeForPot.com. And: POW420.com also lists some cannabis lifers. Facebook: Life for Pot. And: Life In Prison For Pot And Other Travesties Of Marijuana Prohibition. 4 Sept. 2014. Forbes.
- Jeff Mizanskey, life without parole: Missouri man freed after spending two decades in prison for marijuana charge. 1 Sep 2015. Guardian. . And: Grandpa Doing Life Without Parole. . Nazi Republican prosecutor.
- . Religious Right: Supported Life for Pot. . . .
- Life for Pot Prisoner Larry Duke Released! .
|The drug war is a big cause of the high US incarceration rate. Also, the rest of the developed world has much lower rates of handgun ownership, and much lower murder rates. They never reached the levels of violence the USA did due to handguns and drug war. So they never had the clamoring of the far-right National Rifle Association (NRA) demanding mandatory minimum sentencing. Canada and Europe have long had much lower incarceration rates, better healthcare, and far fewer and shorter sentences for marijuana offenses.|
People in prisons and jails for drug offences
- See main article: People in prisons and jails in the USA for drug-related crime.
489,000 in 2013 (see chart below). For drug offenses alone.
In 2009 26.4% of those in federal and state prisons, or on probation or parole, were in due to drug offenses. Jail numbers are not included below.
More on US cannabis arrests
|U.S. drug arrests|
Sources for marijuana arrest numbers by year:
- Commons:File:US Cannabis Arrests.svg - see sources and data table below the timeline chart.
- Percent distribution of arrests for drug abuse violations. By type of drug, United States, 1982-2009. Sourcebook of criminal justice statistics Online.
- See also: Wikimedia Commons:Category:Cannabis arrest statistics.
Marijuana possession versus violent crime
- Police in Washington divert efforts to other crimes due to marijuana law. Much money saved. 20 March 2014. MSNBC.
- Marijuana Possession Arrests Exceed Violent Crime Arrests (INFOGRAPHIC). 17 Jan 2013. Huffington Post.
Europe and Canada have much lower murder rates than the USA. They also have more harm-reduction oriented drug policies. Sources and data here and here. See Wikipedia: List of countries by intentional homicide rate.
More info and news
- March On Mayor Bloomberg's House: Protest Marijuana Arrests. By Steve Elliott. March 28, 2012. From the article: "Under Bloomberg, More Than 400,000 People Arrested on Low-Level Marijuana Charges in NYC. ... He's spending at least $75 million a year for these arrests. ... In the last five years under Bloomberg, the NYPD made more marijuana arrests than in the 24 years under Mayors Giuliani, Dinkins and Koch combined."