- 1 Table top
- 2 Top
- 3 The drug overdose nation
- 4 Vote out most Republicans
- 5 US Republican cannabis war
- 6 Republican mass incarceration
- 7 Incarceration rates compared
- 8 We need to look at Portugal!
- 9 Cannabis versus cigarettes
- 10 Life for Pot. Under Trump
- 11 70,200 deaths in US in 2017
- 12 During Trump's drug war.
- 13 Trudeau's Canada legalized
- 14 Trudeau is not a socialist.
- 15 Canadian healthcare myths
- 16 Single Payer costs less and
- 17 Canada is not socialist.
- 18 It has higher minimum wage
- 19 It has a lower murder rate,
- 20 US; more handgun owners.
- 21 Portugal's drug decrim
- 22 Healthcare for all costs less
- 23 Drug company price fixing
- 24 Huge cost of deductibles
- 25 Medicare for all costs less
- 26 And is not socialist.
- 27 US drug war is expensive
- 28 Cash bail costs taxpayers
- 29 Ground wars are costly
- 30 Pentagon is a money pit.
- 31 Hemp for all
- 32 Children's Climate Action
- 33 Green Love. Warming &
- 34 Overpopulation
- 35 Flood insurance
- 36 Green energy costs less
- 37 Oil subsidies are socialist.
- 38 President Eisenhower was
- 39 A progressive Republican.
- 40 He wasn't a socialist. His
- 41 91% top marginal tax rate
- 42 & lower middle-class taxes
- 43 Equaled prosperity for more
- 44 Vs Republican Party today:
- 45 GOP kleptocracy, drug war,
- 46 US Republican war on poor,
- 47 Record US income inequality,
- 48 Rich pay less taxes than you,
- 49 Massive US student debt
- 50 Republican loansharking
- 51 College at 16 is cheaper.
- 52 Massive US medical debt,
- 53 Massive US household debt,
- 54 Polls support legalization
- 55 Trump's falling wages
- 56 Cannabis is safer
- 57 Categories
Share links: kleptocracy and state. This article was written by Timeshifter. See also: Happy alternatives to US Republican-led poverty, mass incarceration, food insecurity, debt, ill health, intense concentration of wealth, endless wars. And: Holy war on drugs.
The drug overdose nation
Vote out most Republicans
Prosperity for all is not sustainable without universal healthcare, progressive taxation, higher taxes on the rich, lower taxes on the middle class, a high minimum wage, and a sustainable population. .
Money wasted on health insurance companies, drug wars, and most ground wars, helps no one.
US Republican cannabis war
|Legal Marijuana Advocates Rank The Best And Worst Governors On Cannabis. 2.. By Tom Angell, Jan 16, 2019. From the article (emphasis and links added):|
|Of the governors who received passing grades in the new scorecard, 22 are Democrats and only five areMeanwhile, 100 percent of those who got A grades are Democrats. On the other end of the scale, the 15 who got D grades and the four who received an F are all governors. No Democrat got less than a C.|
Trump vetoes democracy. He does so via the threat of presidential vetos requiring a 2/3rds vote of Congress to override. No European democracy has such authoritarian executive vetos. Their kings, presidents, and prime ministers were stripped of such power.
GOP Senate blocks cannabis. The Republican US Senate is a pseudo-democracy. A minority of Republicans block federal rescheduling or descheduling of cannabis. They block many bills that have majority public support. They do so via a radically expanded filibuster rule that requires 60% votes to pass anything, thus allowing a minority of 40% to rule.
See "50% plus 1" democracy to the US Senate. Stop the:
|16 July 2018: Republican Congressional Committee Blocks Marijuana Votes (Again).|
|10 July 2018: Republican Congress Has Blocked Dozens Of Marijuana Amendments.|
Republican mass incarceration
- Republican-led drug war and Republican/NRA-led implementation of mandatory sentencing caused it. The
|The US has the highest incarceration rate in the world due to the Republican-led drug war, and the Republican/NRA-led campaign for mandatory minimum sentencing. 29 Mar 2019: Republican history of support for the Bail Bond Industry, and cash bail for people accused, but not convicted, of nonviolent crimes. 2.3.4. 30 April 2019: How Private Equity Is Turning Public Prisons Into Big Profits.|
Incarceration rates compared
OECD (developed democracies). Incarceration rates in chart below. See source info. And: Wikipedia:List of countries by incarceration rate. And: Wikipedia: Comparison of United States incarceration rate with other countries.
We need to look at Portugal!
article. Also, see chart below.
Chart of the day: Drug overdose deaths per million persons. Can the US learn something from Portugal? • AEI | Carpe Diem Blog » AEIdeas. By Mark J. Perry @Mark_J_Perry - July 9, 2017. See chart:
How Europe's heroin capital solved its overdose crisis. By Chris Brown. Apr 25, 2017. CBC.ca. "Goulao says 90 per cent of public money spent fighting drugs in Portugal is channeled toward those health-care goals — just 10 per cent is spent on police enforcement."
Cannabis versus cigarettes
Chart is for regular marijuana and cigarette use by 12th graders in the USA in the past 30 days. For cigarettes actual daily use is measured. For marijuana it is for use on 20 or more occasions in the past 30 days. Green line is for marijuana. Dark blue/purple line is for cigarettes. Percent of 12th graders using over the years. Note the drastic and welcome drop in cigarette use. Marijuana use has stayed relatively low and steady.
Life for Pot. Under Trump
70,200 deaths in US in 2017
During Trump's drug war.
Return to top. Click charts to enlarge. See Wikipedia: US drug overdose death rates and totals over time.
There were 70,200 overdose deaths in 2017 in the US under the Republican-led drug war under Trump. Multiple drugs were involved in many of the deaths. See the numbers for the various drugs in the chart just below.
Chart source. Total US drug deaths by year. The 2 lines are for male and female numbers.
Trudeau's Canada legalized
- Wikipedia: Cannabis in Canada. Recreational cannabis is legal in Canada.
Canadian healthcare myths
|Videos. US Republican myths about Canadian healthcare: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96. Nations with better and healthier quality of life: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14.|
Single Payer costs less and
See charts in these articles:
- Canadian single-payer universal healthcare versus US healthcare.
- Happy alternatives to US Republican-led poverty, mass incarceration, food insecurity, debt, ill health, intense concentration of wealth, endless wars.
It has higher minimum wage
A higher minimum wage is also not socialist. Canada has a higher minimum wage than the US. See: Wikipedia: List of minimum wages by country.
It has a lower murder rate,
US; more handgun owners.
See Canada has a much lower homicide rate, and a much lower rate of handgun ownership. Even clueless Trump pinheads might figure out the connection. It is that simple.in previous section.
Portugal's drug decrim
We need to look at Portugal, where their overdose death rate, HIV, and hepatitis rates, were all drastically reduced after decriminalization and a public health, universal healthcare, treatment-for-all approach.
Healthcare for all costs less
in taxes, deductibles, copays, and premiums. This is because health insurance companies have much less to do with healthcare there. Drug prices are negotiated. And universal healthcare is about prevention and keeping people well, and not about continually "treating" them and keeping them profitably sick. See info, charts, and videos in this article:
Drug company price fixing
12 May 2019: Sweeping lawsuit accuses top generic drug companies, executives of fixing prices. On 60 Minutes. CBS news. From article: "But 1,215 generics, many of them ... 90 percent of all prescriptions filled in this country are filled with generic drugs."
Huge cost of deductibles
2 May 2019: Trumpcare: Los Angeles Times. 26 Mar 2018: Why thousands of Americans Are Risking It and Skipping Health Insurance. Bloomberg News.
Medicare for all costs less
16 Jul 2018: New York Times.
US drug war is expensive
Cash bail costs taxpayers
|29 Mar 2019: Republican history of support for the Bail Bond Industry, and cash bail for people accused, but not convicted, of nonviolent crimes. 2.3.4.|
24 Jan 2017: Our Money Bail System Costs U.S. Taxpayers $38 Million A Day. On HuffPost.
Ground wars are costly
is the cost of America’s wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Pakistan, etc..
Peace-keeping forces are much less expensive in money and lives. They actually prevent US involvement in ground wars for the most part. The US should not be fighting the ground wars of others. If that happens it often means the US is propping up authoritarians, dictatorships, fake democracies, and corporate wars. See: Wars, drug wars, black sites, and dictators on demand.
Pentagon is a money pit.
17 Mar 2019: The Pentagon’s Bottomless Money Pit. By Matt Taibbi. Rolling Stone. "Despite being the taxpayers’ greatest investment — more than $700 billion a year — the Department of Defense has remained an organizational black box throughout its history. It’s repelled generations of official inquiries, the latest being an audit three decades in the making, mainly by scrambling its accounting into such a mess that it may never be untangled."
Hemp for all
- Google search: The Emperor Wears No Clothes. Jack Herer. Chris Conrad.
|12 Dec 2018: Veto-proof Farm Bill passed overwhelmingly by Congress. American farmers will be able to plant and harvest hemp. It could spark a boom for the $1 billion marijuana-linked CBD industry. 2.|
Children's Climate Action
Facebook video with captions. A teenage climate activist (Greta Thunberg) called out world leaders in December 2018 at age 15. See comments and number of views by clicking on the video after it starts. Another popular version. Her videos have many tens of millions of views. See the full version on Youtube. It has a transcript in the description. There are many versions online. See Wikipedia: 2018 United Nations Climate Change Conference. See: Thousands of UK Students Skipped Class to Protest Climate Change. Feb 15, 2019. Many photos.
- Wikipedia: Greta Thunberg. And: Wikipedia: School strike for climate. Many events worldwide.
- Google search: greta climate. Twitter: #FridaysForFuture #SchoolStrike4Climate #ClimateStrike.
- . Voting age of 16 in many countries. Youth have more sense than US Republican climate change deniers.
Green Love. Warming &
Democrat Congresspeople in the US support cannabis reform and the environment much more than Republican leaders. Republican misogyny as represented by Donald Trump is only matched by Republican misogyny for Mother Earth. Partly due to Trump the number of Democrat women in Congress increased in record numbers after the 2018 midterm election. The number of Republican women in Congress declined after the 2018 election. See Wikipedia: 2018 United States elections.
18 Dec 2018: Trump morons (Republican leaders) who opposed recreational cannabis. .This was partly due to voters dumping the
Overpopulation is the main driver of global warming. Free birth control is part of the solution. The Little Ice Age is believed to have been partly due to the reforestation that occurred during the hundreds of years of lower human population caused by the Black Plague worldwide.
7 July 2015: As with cannabis legalization Colorado led the way.. More info. 2.3..
Wikipedia: Population milestone babies.
- 9 June 2015: Abortion Rates Dropped Sharply. What Caused It? "According to a survey released by the Associated Press on Monday, abortions have dropped by 12 percent nationwide since 2010. ... the correlation between increased access to contraception and a decrease in unplanned pregnancy has been significantly documented over the last two decades. Teen pregnancy rates have been dropping to historic lows, a trend that has been connected to the change in social norms surrounding contraception and increased birth control availability."
- ObamaCare Birth Control - Obamacare Facts. Free birth control.
Return to top. More socialism for the rich.
Taxpayers Get Soaked by Government's Flood Insurance for Risky Beachfront Property of the Rich. It's really a subsidy for rich banks to cover their mortgage risk. And it's not just money for rebuilding homes in risky places being overrun by ever-increasing high water from global warming. It's money for neverending dredging, too. "Up and down the coast, the Army Corps of Engineers dumped sand on hundreds of beaches."
Green energy costs less
15 Aug 2019: Renewable energy can generate billions of dollars in health benefits, study finds.
8 May 2019: Study: U.S. Fossil Fuel Subsidies Exceed Pentagon Spending. By Tim Dickinson. Rolling Stone. From the article (emphasis added):
|It accounts for the “differences between actual consumer fuel prices and how much consumers would pay if prices fully reflected supply costs plus the taxes needed to reflect environmental costs” and other damage, including premature deaths from air pollution.|
President Eisenhower was
A progressive Republican.
- They tried to call FDR and the New Deal 'socialist' too. Here's how he responded. By Michael Hiltzik. Feb 13, 2019. Los Angeles Times.
91% top marginal tax rate
Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Hires Former Marijuana Lobbyist As Senior Advisor. By Kyle Jaeger. January 7, 2019. Marijuana Moment. From the article: "Both believe that marijuana should be legalized at the federal level".
Median wealth per adult. Credit Suisse. 2019 report. Country links are to Wikipedia articles. Click red column headers to sort. Link.
Country Median wealth
1 Switzerland 227,891 2 Australia 181,361 3 Iceland 165,961 4 Hong Kong 146,887 5 Luxembourg 139,789 6 Belgium 117,093 7 New Zealand 116,433 8 Japan 110,408 9 107,004 10 Ireland 104,842 11 France 101,942 12 United Kingdom 97,452 13 Singapore 96,967 14 Spain 95,360 15 Austria 94,070 16 Italy 91,889 17 Malta 76,016 18 South Korea 72,198 19 Norway 70,627 20 Taiwan 70,191 21 Qatar 69,671 22 65,904 23 Denmark 58,784
& lower middle-class taxes
Equaled prosperity for more
- Viral meme says 1956 Republican platform was pretty liberal. Article by PolitiFact says it is mostly true. See Wikipedia: PolitiFact.
Vs Republican Party today:
GOP kleptocracy, drug war,
|Republican Party. Greed, ground wars, drug wars, and mass incarceration.|
Source. 22 Jan 2019: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: A system that allows billionaires to exist alongside extreme poverty is immoral.
See: map source. U.S. Dept. of Labor. Map of states with higher minimum wage than the federal minimum wage. Note that slavery still exists in the Republican South. Wage slaves.
Wikipedia: Minimum wage in the United States. Wikipedia: Fight for $15.
That illegal smile Republican leaders don't like.
US Republican war on poor,
Record US income inequality,
26 Sep 2019:
|Stock owned by|
The Richest 10% of Americans Now Own 84% of All Stocks. Dec. 19, 2017. Time (magazine). "The top 10% of American households, as defined by total wealth, now own 84% of all stocks in 2016, according to a recent paper by NYU economist Edward N. Wolff."
11 Sep 2018.
Rich pay less taxes than you,
9 Oct 2019: CBS News.
8 Oct: The Washington Post. From the article: "The top 400 families have more wealth than the bottom 60 percent of households, while the top 0.1 percent own as much as the bottom 80 percent. ... the tipping point came in 2017, with the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. The legislation, championed by President Trump and then-House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), was a windfall for the wealthy: It lowered the top income tax bracket".
6 Oct: New York Times.
Massive US student debt
Facebook video: $1.5 trillion in student debt. U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders. Read the heartbreaking comments. 10 Dec 2018: People Are Living With An Incredible Amount Of Debt From Student Loans And Credit Cards. By Venessa Wong. BuzzFeed News.
College at 16 is cheaper.
Scotland: Adult at age 16. Prolonged forced adolescence is a waste of time and money. Increased agency is better. Public high school in the USA costs an average of $12,509 a year per student in taxes. See: Scotland. What can I do at my age? See: Age of Legal Capacity (Scotland) Act 1991. See: Wikipedia: Education in Scotland: "In 2014, research by the Office for National Statistics found that Scotland was the most highly educated country in Europe".
Massive US medical debt,
This doesn't happen in Canada, due to single-payer universal healthcare.
17 Jan 2019: US. 34 Devastating Stories About How People Are Still Crushed By Medical Debt. By Venessa Wong. BuzzFeed News.
Massive US household debt,
. Chart is in the PDF linked from that page.
Total household debt timeline.
Polls support legalization
23 Oct 2019: Gallup Poll. 19 April 2019: CBS poll at 65% for legalization. This is after decades of activism such as cannabis marches, events, education, referendums, and more. See: cannabis polls and activism.By
The majority of US Republicans now support full cannabis legalization, but many Republican leaders do not. We march until all the are removed from office.
Trump's falling wages
|7 Feb 2020:|
Bottom of chart below says: "Data for wages of production and non-supervisory employees on private non-farm payrolls."
USA. Inflation-adjusted federal minimum wage over the years. .
Cannabis is safer
16 Dec 2019: Majority Of Americans Support Marijuana Legalization, Two More New Polls Show. "Voters who supported President Trump in the 2016 election expressed greater opposition to the policy than Republicans and Republican-leaning independents as a whole."
|2 May 2019:|
23 Feb 2019: Trump Continues to Flip-Flop on Medical Marijuana.
|Ronald Reagan, 1980 campaign speech: "Leading medical researchers are coming to the conclusion that marijuana, pot, grass whatever you want to call it, is probably the most dangerous drug in the United States, and we haven't begun to find out all of the ill effects, but they are permanent ill effects. The loss of memory for example."|
Share link: Obama.
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
- Holder's Legacy: Steering Away From the Drug War and Mass Incarceration. . Attorney General Eric Holder (2009-2015) under President Obama. 25 Sep 2014.