Table top[edit source]
|Canada and Portugal. Vs USA|
Compare to the USA:
Top[edit | edit source]
- 1 Table top
- 2 Top
- 3 Declining inflation-adjusted wages
- 4 US. Stingiest minimum wage
- 5 Trump's far-right Republicans
- 6 Their taxes screw middle class
- 7 Vs President Eisenhower (1953-60)
- 8 A progressive Republican.
- 9 His 91% top marginal tax rate
- 10 Equaled prosperity for more
- 11 US has high wealth inequality
- 12 US has massive household debt
- 13 Massive US medical debt
- 14 US has high income inequality
- 15 Trickle down does not work
- 16 Cannabis is safer.
- 17 Site navigation
- 18 Categories
- Share link: wages. This article was written by Timeshifter. See: . And: Happy alternatives to Republican-led poverty, mass incarceration, food insecurity, debt, ill health, intense concentration of wealth, endless wars. Go: . And: .
Declining inflation-adjusted wages[edit | edit source]
Especially for Republican states with low minimum wages.
28 Feb 2020: Rep. Mark Pocan is on point that wages haven't moved much in the last 30 years. PolitiFact. "The cost of everyday goods like rent, groceries and cars have outpaced median wage growth. ... Accounting for inflation, the median wage has only increased $3 since 1990 — and the cost of living expenses has far outpaced that number."
|7 Feb 2020:|
US federal minimum wage timeline below. Top line is adjusted for inflation. Middle class prosperity peaked under Truman and Roosevelt in the 1950s due to steep progressive taxation where the middle class paid less. And the minimum wage was increased. That also pushed up middle class wages.
|Real wages are adjusted for inflation. Listen up, Trump cupcakes. Your fearless leader screwed nearly all of us.|
25 Sep 2018: Forbes.
|14 Aug 2018: Stagnating salaries: Real US wages are essentially back at 1974 levels, Pew reports. Daniel B. Kline. USA Today.|
|7 Aug 2018: For most U.S. workers, real wages have barely budged in decades. Pew Research Center.|
Bottom of chart below says: "Data for wages of production and non-supervisory employees on private non-farm payrolls."
US. Stingiest minimum wage[edit | edit source]
Return to top. See:
Trump's far-right Republicans[edit | edit source]
Their taxes screw middle class[edit | edit source]
Chart below. 2017 Republican tax and individual mandate repeal bill. Yellow is for an average increase in cost for people in those groups. Higher costs hitting more people each year. Up to incomes of $75,000.
|Republican tax bill hurts the poor more than originally thought, Congressional Budget Office finds.||"By 2019, Americans earning less than $30,000 a year would be worse off under the Senate bill, CBO found. By 2021, Americans earning $40,000 or less would be net losers, and by 2027, most people earning less than $75,000 a year would be worse off. On the flip side, millionaires and those earning $100,000 to $500,000 would be big beneficiaries".|
|2 polls: Only 29% of Americans approve of Republican tax plan. 2.|
Vs President Eisenhower (1953-60)[edit | edit source]
A progressive Republican.[edit | edit source]
- Viral meme says 1956 Republican platform was pretty liberal. Article by PolitiFact says it is mostly true. See Wikipedia: PolitiFact.
His 91% top marginal tax rate[edit | edit source]
Equaled prosperity for more[edit | edit source]
Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Hires Former Marijuana Lobbyist As Senior Advisor. By Kyle Jaeger. January 7, 2019. Marijuana Moment. From the article: "Both believe that marijuana should be legalized at the federal level".
Median wealth per adult. Credit Suisse. 2019 report. Country links are to Wikipedia articles. Click red column headers to sort. Link.
Country Median wealth
1 Switzerland 227,891 2 Australia 181,361 3 Iceland 165,961 4 Hong Kong 146,887 5 Luxembourg 139,789 6 Belgium 117,093 7 New Zealand 116,433 8 Japan 110,408 9 107,004 10 Ireland 104,842 11 France 101,942 12 United Kingdom 97,452 13 Singapore 96,967 14 Spain 95,360 15 Austria 94,070 16 Italy 91,889 17 Malta 76,016 18 South Korea 72,198 19 Norway 70,627 20 Taiwan 70,191 21 Qatar 69,671 22 65,904 23 Denmark 58,784
11 Sep 2018.
Chart below: Top 10% of earners receive 50% of all income. When capital gains are included.
26 Jul 2018: As Workers' Wages Continue to Fall Under Trump, Analysis Shows CEO Pay Is Way Higher Than Typically Reported. Jake Johnson, Common Dreams.
17 Jul 2018: By Bernie Sanders. USA Today. 17 Jul 2018: If the economy is 'roaring', why are so many Americans still struggling? Bernie Sanders. The Guardian.
|10 Jul 2018: National (US) Pay Trends. " , wages have risen 12.9 percent overall in the US. But when you factor in inflation, In other words, the income for a typical worker today buys them less than it did in 2006."|
2 Jul 2018: An Update for 2018: More Evidence That Half of Americans Are In or Near Poverty. Paul Buchheit. Common Dreams.
7 Aug 2018. By Drew DeSilver. Pew Research Center. Chart below is from the article. Bottom of chart says: "Data for wages of production and non-supervisory employees on private non-farm payrolls."
17 Dec 2017: New York Times.
1 Jul 2016: ThinkProgress. "Incomes for the 99 percent have only recovered about 60 percent of what they lost. But the rich are doing great. ... They captured more than half of all the income growth in the country.". By Bryce Covert.
- Commons: Category: Median income. Charts, graphs, maps
- Facebook: .
US has high wealth inequality[edit | edit source]
See the median wealth by country chart:
. See chart below. See: Income inequality and drug war. And: Median wealth is exactly in the middle. 50% of adults have more, and 50% have less. Wealth is all assets (money, stocks, property, etc.) minus all debts.
US has massive household debt[edit | edit source]
Total household debt. 1st quarter 2003 through 1st quarter 2019.
Massive US medical debt[edit | edit source]
This doesn't happen in Canada, due to single-payer universal healthcare.
17 Jan 2019: US. 34 Devastating Stories About How People Are Still Crushed By Medical Debt. By Venessa Wong. BuzzFeed News.
US has high income inequality[edit | edit source]
See the median income by country charts:
- Median GDP per capita: how much does the typical person earn in different countries? A look at Global Inequality - the Giving What We Can Blog. By Hauke Hillebrandt. 25 May 2016
- The World Bank’s Poverty Statistics Lack Median Income Data, So We Filled In the Gap Ourselves — Download Available. February 6, 2016. Anna Diofasi and Nancy Birdsall. Center for Global Development.
Note that the bottom 60% of households (bottom 3 quintiles) have had little improvement in real income. While the top 20%, and especially the top 5 percent, have had large, even exceptional, increases in real income.
Trickle down does not work[edit | edit source]
Cannabis is safer.[edit | edit source]
16 Dec 2019: Majority Of Americans Support Marijuana Legalization, Two More New Polls Show. "Voters who supported President Trump in the 2016 election expressed greater opposition to the policy than Republicans and Republican-leaning independents as a whole."
|2 May 2019:|
23 Feb 2019: Trump Continued to Flip-Flop on Medical Marijuana.
|Ronald Reagan, 1980 campaign speech: "Leading medical researchers are coming to the conclusion that marijuana, pot, grass whatever you want to call it, is probably the most dangerous drug in the United States, and we haven't begun to find out all of the ill effects, but they are permanent ill effects. The loss of memory for example."|
Share link: Obama.
- Obama correctly said that cannabis is safer than alcohol. See: Cannabis is safer. He also said marijuana should be treated more as a public health issue than a criminal one. And: Obama signals support for legalizing medical marijuana. . See video.
- USA. 1 in 10 deaths of working-age adults are alcohol-related (disease, overdose, car crashes, falls, violence, etc). 87,798 per year, 2006 to 2010. .
See longer article: Cannabis is safer.
- Imagine if Mitt Romney had been elected President in 2012 instead of Obama.
- Obama on marijuana legalization. . "My suspicion is that you’re gonna see other states start looking at this". The Washington Post. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Obama administration asks Supreme Court to reject lawsuit filed by Republican governments in Oklahoma and Nebraska to stop legal marijuana in Colorado . December 2015.
- Holder's Legacy: Steering Away From the Drug War and Mass Incarceration. . Attorney General Eric Holder (2009-2015) under President Obama. 25 Sep 2014.
[edit | edit source]
view has site navigation links at the top. view has the three-line hamburger menu at the top right. Click it to see site navigation.